Chartered Institute of Certified Tax Accountants
Strategic Affiliations in UK, Canada and USA
An Association of Certified Tax Accountants at your Service.
News and Events
Syllabus: CICTA 305
SYLLABUS CICTA 305 - TAX ADMINISTRATION CERTIFICATE LEVEL
The major objective of the course is to educate students to appreciate tax administration in the country for the enhancement of government policies. The understanding of the administration of Revenue Collection Authority as the apex body in charge of both the direct and indirect tax administration in the country is the central focus.
22.2 Course Description
The course covers the entire administration of the Revenue Agency, the Divisions and the Support Services. The structure and functions of the Revenue Agencies and their procedures and practices constitute the central issues.
22.3.1 An Overview of Tax Administration
* The functions of the Revenue Authority and the leadership
* The structure, Divisions and the support Services
22.3.2 Procedures and Practices of the Direct and Indirect Tax Assessment
* The management of the Proceedings and Practices
* The management of the Divisions and Units
* The Powers and controls of the apex body in charge of Tax administration both Direct and Indirect.
22.3.3 Customs Administrative Procedures / Assessments
* The structures, powers, functions, divisions and controls
* Administration of Indirect Taxes and Duties -general provisions
* Customs duties
* Excise duties and sales tax
* Offences and penalties
22.3.4 Revenue Collection Machinery - Direct and Indirect Taxes
* The administration of tax identification numbers
* Distinction and administration of taxable persons and non-taxable persons.
* The administration and assessment of both Direct and Indirect tax
* The administration of Tax exemptions on both direct and indirect income.
* The administration and treatment of allowable and non - allowable allowances in the Direct Tax system.
22.3.5 VAT Administration
* Imposition of VAT
* Tax return, records and assessment
* Taxable person
* Recovery of tax debt, Interest and other
* Supply of goods and servicesliabilities
* Taxable supplies
* Administration of Value Added Tax
* Time and place of supply
* Objections and appeals
* Taxable value
* Offences and penalties
* Deduction on Input tax and refunds
* Miscellaneous provisions
22.3.6 Assessment of Residents and Non-Resident Persons
* The assessment of local and foreign income of resident and non-resident persons.
22.3.7 Treatment of Tax Expenditure for Deferral of Tax and Reduction of Tax
* Investment in qualifying capital assets
* Investment in intangible assets
22.3.8 Tax Expenditure
* Remuneration packages leading to tax reduction-pension schemes, benefits in kind, bonuses, incentive schemes
22.3.9 The Tax Loss Strategy
* Intra-group transfers of assets
* Capital allowances
* Company takeovers; changes in ownership; conversion of a business to a limited company.
* Leasing and renting
22.3.10 Capital Structure of Entities
* The tax advantage of Debt as against equity in the capital structure.
23.0 ADVANCED TAX PRACTICE PROFESSIONAL LEVEL SYLLABUS
In this module, the policies of the oil and gas sector are explored. Among other topical issues includes The Petroleum Act, the regulatory framework of the oil and gas sector and the fiscal regime of the minerals sector in totality.
23.3.5 Business Combinations and Capital Tax Gains
* The assessment of profit on capital assets.
* The issue of tax evasion, tax avoidance and tax fraud.